[news] HIBC Expands Alere Wellogic HIE Partnership with North Hawai‘i Community Hospital
The Hawai’i Island Beacon Community (HIBC) has begun to expand the region’s first health information exchange (HIE), following a successful pilot phase which began last December at North Hawai’i Community Hospital. The HIE facilitates safer, more efficient, and cost-effective care within the connected health care community across Hawai’i Island. It enables doctors to easily view and share patient records from participating hospitals, doctors’ offices, imaging centers, pharmacies, laboratories and other practices. It also facilitates secure doctor-to-doctor messaging for referrals and consultations, and establishes the foundation for care coordination across the region. This HIE can also connect to other regional HIEs and eventually the Nationwide Health Information Network.
“The Hawai’i Island Beacon project is all about building a better system of health care delivery by providing better care and managing cost. Alere Wellogic’s HIE is helping us reach this ambitious goal by improving the communication and coordination of clinical care and support services,” said Susan Hunt, HIBC Project Director and CEO. “It has been a tremendous demonstration of what collaboration, technology, and community partnerships can achieve. We have accomplished a great deal in a relatively short period of time and are looking forward to next steps.”
The HIE was designed in collaboration with the physicians and technology leadership at North Hawai’i Community Hospital, HIBC, Alere Wellogic, and Booz Allen Hamilton.
- First live HIE on Hawai’i Island now connects doctors in North Hawai’i.
- Charter participants are NHCH, affiliated physicians, and their reference laboratories and imaging centers.
- Authorized doctors and their staff have easy and immediate access to patient information across all connected venues of care, from emergency rooms to specialist offices.
- The shared information is harmonized for easy review and to enable decision support.
- Doctors and staff already observe positive impact on information availability, operational efficiency, and patient care.
- This project lays the foundation for Alere’s electronic health record, wireless diagnostic devices, decision support, analytics, care coordination and population health reporting functions.
Participating organizations include: Cleveland Clinic radiologists at North Hawai’i Community Hospital, Clinical Laboratories of Hawai’i, Diagnostic Laboratory Services, Hawai’i Emergency Physicians Associated, Hāmākua Health Center, North Hawai’i Community Hospital, North Hawai’i Hospitalist Physicians and North Hawai’i Medical Group.
“I have always been impressed by the usability of the HIE from Alere Wellogic,” said Dr. William Park, senior general surgeon at North Hawai’i Community Hospital. “We ultimately chose Alere Wellogic because they are unique in understanding what we doctors need—tools that help us be more efficient, but in a way that doesn’t require fundamental change in how we run our day.”
continue reading via HIBC